Coconut flour makes a delicious pizza crust and is higher in fat (the good kind), protein, and fiber than wheat flour. It’s also rich in iron. Because it’s dense and super absorbent, you typically need less of it than other flours used for baking.
COCONUT FLOUR PIZZA CRUST
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons (1½ ounces) coconut flour
- 1/3 cup (1½ ounces) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup warm water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a 12-inch circle of parchment paper in the center of a 14-inch round pizza tray and brush it with the olive oil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt. Add the eggs, and water and whisk vigorously until the batter is smooth.
- Dump the batter into the center of the pizza tray and, using an offset spatula, spread it out evenly to the edge of the parchment paper.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 10 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula, loosen the crust from the parchment paper and slide it onto a 14-inch round pizza screen. Bake for 7-8 minutes more or until the bottom of the crust is lightly browned.
- Slide the crust back onto the pizza tray (minus the parchment paper), layer on toppings of your choice, and bake in a 400-degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until toppings are melted and/or heated through.