A classic pizza crust recipe is transformed into a stunning culinary canvas with beet powder. Beet powder (also known as beetroot powder) is available online and at some upscales grocery stores like Whole Foods.
BEET PIZZA CRUST
- 5 ounces (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) warm water (110 – 120 degrees F)
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1½ tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 cups (8½ ounces) all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) beet powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let it sit until the surface is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, beet powder, and salt and stir until you have a soft, sticky dough.
- Drizzle the olive oil into another clean bowl. Dump the dough into the bowl and toss it around a few times to evenly coat the surface of the dough with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set the bowl in a warm place until it has doubled in size, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees and lightly dust a 14-inch round pizza tray with flour. Transfer the dough to the center of the tray and sprinkle a little flour on top. Using the pizza roller, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle. Sprinkle on more flour as you go, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Using an offset spatula, loosen the crust from the pizza tray and slide it onto a 14-inch round pizza screen. Bake for 5 minutes more or until the bottom of the crust is nicely browned.
- Proceed with one of the pizza recipes on KookyPizza.com or slide the crust back onto the pizza tray, layer on toppings of your choice, and bake in a 400-degree oven for 5-7 minutes or until toppings are melted and/or heated through.
Serving: 2🍕slices (1/4 of crust) | Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 703mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 15gShare on Facebook